FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Ball is Rolling!

Last night was our Ragnar team's first conference call! It was my first chance to connect a voice to all of the pictures that I've seen on blogs and Facebook... When I was dialing the number, my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding out of my chest (it didn't help that I had just finished Insanity's Plyometric Cardio Circuit just 10 minutes prior). And then Rik, the team captain, asked us to introduce ourselves and give a little insight into why we were doing the relay. Now I had to talk on TOP of those nerves?!? Thankfully he didn't get to me for a while so I had a chance to write something down and be semi-prepared. I think I probably STILL sounded like an ass.

My first run- 3.5 miles.

So in that 2 hour and 9 minute call, we covered A LOT of ground. We discussed mandatory gear, (per the Ragnar Race Bible), as well as items that would be necessary just to make the experience more enjoyable, like a sleep sack (note to self: Google that!). Other topics of discussion were hotel accommodations, pre-race team dinner arrangements and a post-race team farewell brunch on Sunday. One of the most anticipated highlights of the call? LEG ASSIGNMENTS! I was tentatively Leg #6, which was an 8.7 miler, 7.8 miler and a 4.1 miler. Although I know I could handle any one of those legs on any given day, having to do all THREE of them within a 36 hour period was possibly setting myself up for failure. I also felt that our captain, being a seasoned runner and Ragnarian, should have the challenge. Rik was graciously allowing everyone else to choose their legs and was about to leave himself with only a choice between easy runs. He seemed happy to finally be in Van #1, which includes runners 1-6.

My 2nd run- 6.2 miles.

Unfortunately, the 12 runner positions are categorized by mileage/elevation. There are 6 hard/very hard (most mileage), 3 moderate and 3 easy positions (the least mileage). So, seeing there are more hard positions than the others and as of yet I have not done a half-marathon and don't have the experience like some of the others, I chose Runner #8. That consists of a 3.5 mile run, 6.2 mile run and a 2.1 mile run, totalling 11.8 miles. Much more doable. I'm in van #2, with Meredith, Jen S., Allison, Ada and John. I think we'll have a great time.

My final run- 2 miles.

I'm still having to pinch myself to wake up from this dream! I can't believe it's really happening. Oh, did I mention that our teammate Jen R. is an owner of a television and film production company? Did I mention she's trying to put together a documentary based on our weight-loss journeys and the huge part that running has played in our successes, with the culmination of the film being the 200 mile Relay? Unfrickin' believable!!! No WAY this can be happening!

(On a sad note: there's a hold on Insanity and it's due back at the library today. I'll try and get one more workout in today before I have to part with Shaun T. Cue sad music...)

3 comments:

  1. stoked. looks like we have an awesome van!!!
    wooooo hooooooo

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I know you are gonna rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you crack me up!! There is no reason at all to be nervous to talk to all of us. I thought it was great to hear everyone's voices--and I love your NY accent ;)

    ReplyDelete