FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Change It Up

I knew I had to get some kind of activity in but I was just NOT feeling the gym and the arc trainer today. So, you'd think I'd pop an Insanity DVD into the machine and "dig deeper," but I didn't. I was hoping to get my husband off the PS3 and go out for a jog/walk. Even though I ran yesterday, it's beautiful out, sunny with an actual BREEZE, and I didn't want to waste that. Instead, Charlie suggested some tennis! We haven't played yet this year. Tremendous idea!

1987- Frickin' 25 years ago! Gee, which one am I?

We asked the kids if they wanted to head out with us, since A). they need some physical activity too, B). Charlie, Jr. played when we went away and he said "I SUCK!" (so he could use some practice) and C). it would be nice to continue to enjoy some time together before the chaos of school takes over. We are very lucky that our high school, which is 5 minutes from our house, has 8 courts. Thankfully only 1 out of the 1st 4 courts were being used, so we headed to the 2nd set of courts, so as not to interfere with the real practice going on. We only own 2 racquets, so we had to take turns. The odd man out was deemed "ball boy" and got to play fetch. I warmed up with Chelsea, if you could call it that. I think it was the 1st time she held a racquet. She was a good sport about it and seemed to attempt to learn.

After a while, I let my husband have my racquet, but I wasn't about to run after balls. I figured I could walk around the perimeter of the 4 courts while they played. Then I thought I could do a very slow jog instead. So I ran 8 laps. Then I played some tennis and then I ran 8 more laps. There was an awesome wind coming across the courts so it was SO much more pleasant than yesterday's run (it was also 5pm)! That made me think that maybe I should head out to the track more (I mean AGAIN!) for my runs. It's really a catch 22. I can run out on the street and the time goes by relatively quickly (not really) since there's so much to pay attention to, like the pitfalls of gravel driveways and oncoming vehicles, but I guess houses curtail the wind. I could run at the track out in an open field and enjoy the breeze, but you tend to feel like a hamster on a wheel, running around in circles. Then there's the treadmill at the gym, where I can play with the speed and run like the wind and get it done and watch the Olympics (What am I going to do with myself after tonight??!!??) That can get old, too. What to do, what to do??? Gee, maybe I could do it all? Duh.

6 comments:

  1. I have a groupon for some reserved tennis time on a lakefront court, I hope we can use it before it expires! My boyfriend is still limited with activity post-surgery. Might have to make it a ladies night (or day)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love tennis. It's a great workout, if you can get it over the net!

      Delete
  2. I've just discovered your blog and what an amazing inspiration you are!! Well done on your weight loss and best of luck with Ragnar Relay :-)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, how did you find me? Just wondering. The race will be awesome, we're just worried about getting funding for the film!

      Delete
    2. I follow Katie's blog, Runs for Cookies and found your blog via the From Fat to Finish line documentary website ;)

      Delete
    3. Cool! I started following Katie and that's how I got involved in all this craziness!

      Delete