FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Monday, July 2, 2012

What A Week I'm having (Part 2)

Technically, last week is over, but if I changed the title then you would wonder if you missed something. It's just me being asleep at the wheel!

So I ended the last entry with Jen, Angela and I falling asleep watching 'Monster in-Laws' Monday night. That couldv'e ended one of those "You know you're getting old when _____" sentences! I did notice that I was feeling kind of sore after my workout with Gene. You know, the kind of sore that makes you look like an octogenarian bending down to pick up a dime? So when I woke up and Jen was heading down to check out the hotel gym, I decided to pass and take a shower instead. I was surprised when I came out of the shower to see Jen back. The gym had no treadmill! What kind of crap is that? I guess they figure you're in Manhattan, the miles will take care of themselves? Jen decided she'd like to take a run in Central Park and no amount of muscle soreness could keep me from joining her! I've ALWAYS (ok, since I began running) wanted to run through Central Park!

It was a nice walk to get up to the park, about 8 blocks straight up 5th Avenue. The wind sure was blowing, though! Other than a few gusts during our walk, the weather was perfect. Neither one of us knew where the hell we were going, but that made it even more fun. We wound up stumbling on Bethesda Terrace which is a beautiful spot with the huge fountain and a view of The Boathouse. Many movies have filmed there and many brides have wedding photos taken there. It's an idyllic setting.

The Grand Army Plaza, Central Park's southwest corner

Jen and I stopping during our run for a quick picture in front of the Angel of the Waters Fountain in Bethesda Terrace

We ran 3 miles through the park, enjoying the scenery, especially all of the dogs! After our run we went back to the hotel room to clean up, get some breakfast, pack up and check out of the hotel. Angela, Jen and I then headed downtown to the SoHo loft where the salon was to meet up with Molly, the hairstylist, and Julio, the make-up artist. I still can't believe I'm saying those words! My sister mostly cuts my hair or I go to The Lemon Tree and I've NEVER had my make-up done by anyone other than myself! Molly was so excited to be doing such a dramatic makeover. She said they called it the "playground" when so much is being done. We looked at some pictures on the computer to get a good idea of the style and color I wanted and then she went to town!

The consultation... That's Rich, one of Jen and Angela's colleagues, helping with the shoot.

That's Molly mixing my color and Marco, the owner of the salon, toiling away for hours doing a keratin treatment.

And I'm getting some highlights...

It took several hours to get the job done, then I put on the outfit, shoes and jewelry "the team" picked out for me and they took pictures for my "after." After all of that fun being queen for a day, it was time to head back to Penn Station and get on a train home. Angela and Jen came home with me to film my big reveal to Charlie and the kids and to interview us for the documentary. First, both Charlie and I were interviewed. He got a bit emotional talking about me and what I've accomplished. I'm not surprised. He cried at our wedding. He cried when we bought our house. He cried when the kids were born. He's an awesome person and I'm so lucky to say he's my husband and the father of my kids. I think he did a fantastic job.

Then it was my turn to be interviewed by myself. Can you believe I couldn't remember the exact day I finally hit goal? I actually had to go back and check My Fitness Pal. (FYI: I started MFP on 4/1/11 and hit goal on 8/20/11, just over 3 years from the start of this journey). I don't think I'll ever want to see my portion of the documentary! I hate hearing my voice and I probably will sound like an idiot! Y'all will get to make fun of my LI accent!

By 8:30pm Tuesday night, it was time to pack it in and bring Jen and Angela back to the train station so they could be on their way home. I had a wonderful time. I can never get enough of the city and this time it was a girls-only trip! That's new for me, too! So many firsts this trip!

I am so thankful for the opportunity that the Ragnar Relay team and being a part of the From Fat To Finish Line documentary has afforded me- the chance to complete my physical transformation. Now I truly look how I feel- young, healthy and full of life. Thank you Jen and Angela!!

If you want to see the finished product, you'll have to wait until it's posted on the From Fat To Finish Line Facebook page (Like it if you already haven't- there's lots to see about all of the RR team members!!) or when the film's website goes up! 


  1. so awesome - truly a memorable trip and I'm still smiling thinking about it all!!

    BTW, don't worry about anyone making fun of your L.I. accent I'm sure they'll be distracted by my Jersey one!! ;-)

    And PS: Don't thank us - THANK YOU for being so open to it all and for being adventurous enough to "go for" all those firsts! We are all so lucky to be apart of it all.

  2. New follower here! So cool..I have to read more to understand all that's going on but it seems like its been a big transformation! So fun getting to have all that stuff done...and I wouldn't notice the long island twang...have some of it myself ;)

  3. How awesome!!!! So excited for you and I can't wait to see the
    "after" shots!!