FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Friday, May 18, 2012

Accountability

It's often been said that when on your weight loss journey, you need to let SOMEONE know of your intentions. I distinctly remember Dr. Phil saying this when he had "The Ultimate Weight Loss Challenge" and plugged his book. (Can you believe that was way back in 2004?) He said you need to tell people what you're planning to do and have someone witness your weigh-ins, either your spouse or a friend, someone that can see your progress or your slip-ups. This could very well be why Weight Watchers are more successful losing weight? Hmmm...

Not a lot of people do this. I know when I started this particular journey, I didn't stand up and let my family know I was now exercising every day and eating better. I was afraid to hear them say "Again?" Like, in my mind, they would be thinking, "What makes this time so different?" Just another attempt that will probably fail. Key word: ATTEMPT. Saying that, it's as if there's a possibility for failure. Maybe that's where we go wrong- our wording. "I'm TRYING to lose weight." Again, not entirely positive. Change it to "I WILL lose weight by taking these actions: I AM eating right, (less, better)...I AM exercising four, (five, six) days a week..." Crowd out the negative talk with positive, encouraging words.

I can't tell you why this time was so different. I didn't have my husband at the scale watching me weigh-in, but I did write it on the school calendar, (the hub of every home with school-aged children), good, bad or ugly. It was there, in pen, for him to see. Now that I'm doing Insanity, I realized the changes in my body may not be as noticeable on the scale but as in overall inches lost. So I had to go out and buy a tape measure. I can't tell you what happened to the other ones I used to own. Must've tossed them when I was in a "I don't give a fuck" phase. Isn't this one cute?



I'm going to need help with measuring, but when I get it done, I'll post my numbers. I WISH I had my measurements from when I began this trek. That's another thing I recommend now! TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS and TAKE LOTS OF PROGRESS PICTURES!!! You may not see the changes when YOU look in the mirror, but the camera won't lie, and neither will the tape measure. The scale, on the other hand, LOVES to play games with our minds with all this talk about water weight and cycles and muscle weighing more than fat... For the record- we all know that's not true, right? A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same- A POUND!! The muscle is just nice and tight and compact, and not jiggly and lumpy, just like we want our ASSES to be!!

3 comments:

  1. oh geese, I wish I had someone around me who would care about me losing weight...
    I started a blog so I could at least imagine telling my progress to someone.
    Thanks for all your advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just keep caring about you. Once the people around you see you're serious they'll either come around or just SHUT UP!!

      Delete
  2. No more jiggly asses LOL! Love it!

    ReplyDelete