FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Apparently, I Didn't Make the "Cut"

Disappointed. I'm a huge fan of the Today Show. I watch it every morning and even went to Rockefeller Center over the summer to see a live taping. So, I get all of the show's updates on my Facebook wall and there was a post looking for women under the age of 60 (since it's their 60th anniversary) who have gray hair and are looking for a cut and color. We all know I fit that bill! Who wouldn't want a day of pampering AND a trip into the city?

Here's Ann signing autographs.

I filled out the application on the 12th. They asked for up to three pictures and a little bio. I described how I've lost weight over the last two years and that having a hair make-over would be the finishing touch to my transformation. I even told the story about the horrible experience of having a woman in the gym ask if my 41 year old friend was my daughter and then having a neighbor ask if the little one I babysit was my only grandchild (read entry here). I added my before picture, a picture of me from over the summer and then one from December, waiting for Nate Berkus.

On the 14th I got an e-mail from a producer of the show asking if I would be available two times this week, once for a styling session and then tomorrow morning for the big reveal. We e-mailed back and forth after I had to rearrange my schedule with the woman I babysit for so Friday was clear. After all that, I sent her my most recent picture from the 11th, when my husband and I were in the city again to see 'Sleep No More.' Well, after that I received an e-mail saying that the team met and changed course and now were looking for someone with LONG gray hair. I told her that I was willing to get a pixie, wouldn't that be a dramatic enough change??? You know, these make-overs are all about the "WOW!" factor. She then told me I was perfect for their original idea, and if they reverted back, she made note of my availability and would be in touch. WAHHHHHHH! I was hoping someone would bow out and I'd get a phone call, but I got nothin'.

Now I have to watch the segment tomorrow and see the gems they picked over me. I'll be crying in my coffee.

9 comments:

  1. Oh - BOO! I watch Today Show every day too. I will ignore that segment in protest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: "go into the city" where are you from? I'm in Northern Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm shocked that they wouldn't pick you!! You have the perfect story, with losing weight AND meeting the qualifications for gray hair (and the horrid story of someone asking if your friend was your daughter). Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't make the cut. You should give yourself a makeover anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I'm on the opposite side- "eastern" Long Island. Just an hour on the LIRR. They were looking for people in the tri-state area so they would only have to send a car or possibly reimburse for train fare, I'm guessing. It would be a dream come true, the city twice on one week! Possibly maneuvering it all on my own! LOL on the boycott!

    And Katie, I guess they were looking for frumpy? I tried to show some personality with the stories and saying that after my transformation of a cut and color I would no longer look like a grandma but probably a 12 year old boy! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice - I love LI - lots of friends that way!

    Well. F. them anyway. You really do have a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stinks....I'm sorry to hear that. If you lived near me I'd give you a cut and color! I'm not a professional, but I do it all the time for my friends and family! We could have filmed it on youtube so you could be famous :) (((hugs!))

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, did anybody watch? Well, they decided to work with the models gray hair and teach people how to make it look nicer and do their make-up because gray hair tends to wash your complexion out. I would've kept my hair gray! They really didn't even cut the women'r hair! And not one of them spoke a word. They just sat there while the host and guest spoke. It was a very boring segment! It still would've been nice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stinkaroo! Well, at least you had extra time free for a run ;)

    ReplyDelete