FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Thursday, September 22, 2011

An Amazing Anniversary!

I kind of missed a few important details on September 17th's post. Well, I really wanted to address my 40th birthday on its own, and this week in September is just so jam-packed with days of distinction that I have to pay attention to each separately. So, September 17th was our wedding anniversary. 16 years ago I married my best friend and we've been very lucky throughout our marriage. We hardly ever disagree and we never fight. I mean, we don't even raise our voices, really. I truly believe I've hit the jackpot.

We are very compatible but we still have our own interests, like he loves video games (I just don't get the appeal) and I can watch the same movie over and over and over... (watched 'Sleepless in Seattle' for probably the 150th time this morning!). I think the most important factor in our relationship is that we love to laugh and make each other laugh. My husband has to be the funniest, quick-witted person ever. Thankfully, we've passed that trait on to our children and the dinner table is extremely entertaining, to say the least.

Our anniversary was not celebrated with a romantic dinner by candlelight or a night out on the town. Charlie had to work from 8am to 6pm and since his job buys lunch on Saturdays he just wasn't hungry for some Omaha Steaks' filet mignon. We didn't even exchange gifts because we wound up going into the city and seeing Mary Poppins with my parents and 2 of my sisters on the 18th. We've been spending money like water, so we had to let it just be.

I did, however, do something momentous on our anniversary. I participated in the Hampton Bays Lions Club "Over the Bridge" 10k! My very first 10k. I was so nervous running it alone, but I had my Garmin with me to keep me motivated and I made a new friend, Donna! My family makes fun of me that I talk to everybody and anybody, including women waiting on the bathroom line at a McDonald's in NYC. But she came and sat with me on the bus from the parking lot to the start line, so how do you NOT talk to someone who is sitting with you? It's plain RUDE if you don't, I'll tell you! I brought my iPod just in case, and I was able to use it!! I don't know why the registration form said "NO HEADPHONES ALLOWED" if it's not enforced, but I'm so glad it wasn't!! I was ecstatic with my results:

            116           834  Linda                 1:04:09            0:10:21               40F              Shirley
I came in 116th out of 136 participants, and 16th out of 21 women from 40-49. Usually the age groups are in 5 year increments, but not this race. I would have been 9th out of 12 women in the 40-44 category. I can't believe I ran 6.2 miles in less time than I ran 6 miles on my 40th birthday!

I absolutely LOVE my Forerunner. It kept me right on track!!
I don't know how I would have done without this little gadget. I felt so good when I finished, and Donna was waiting at the finish line for me! Isn't that sweet? I wish my family could have been there, but I called my husband right after I crossed the finish line with the great news. After really thinking about the course and that bridge, I was going to be content with a time of 1:15:00! Now I want to do another 5k on the same course as the Smith Point Bridge 5k with my handy, dandy toy. I want to break the 30:00 barrier!!!

Tuesday, the 20th, was my husband's 45th birthday. Since he had to be in work late I made him apple cinnamon stuffed pancakes. I felt bad not having anything special for him to open (like a new MLB PS3 game), but he likes if I don't spend money. I don't know if he knows it or not, but I'm having his family and my parents over for dinner on Sunday to celebrate his special day. Maybe I'll let him be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment