FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hoarding Much??

Thank GOD that Katie (Runs For Cookies) warned us all about the upcoming peanut shortage!! Apparently, the south had a drought (90 days+ of 90* or more temps. for Central Texas this year!), and that affected peanut crops. Lower yields means shortages on the shelves and higher prices. A few weeks ago, Brian Williams from NBC's Nightly News spread the word that peanut product's prices could increase as much as 30-40%!!! My family LOVES peanut butter. We go through at least 1 regular sized jar a week. My husband eats peanut butter toast every morning because it's one of the only things he can eat that will give him lasting energy so he won't get the "low blood sugar shakes." The kids (mine and those I babysit) eat pb & j quite often, too. Not to mention I enjoy pb, especially baking with it!!

So, I did the only rational thing anyone (including Katie) would do! Every time I went in a store I bought at least 1 jar of the pb on sale. The last few weeks Planters brand has been my BEST FRIEND!! They've been either 3/$5 or 2/$3 at the little market or Walgreen's. If they were out, I got a raincheck! This coming week CVS has Jif 3/$5!!! Guess who will be hitting them up a couple of times??? Again. if they don't have it I'll get a raincheck and buy it when the prices become astronomical. I'll giggle when they have to take $2 or $3 off the price of each jar!!!

Here's my stash so far! That's 15 jars, almost a 4 month supply.


5 comments:

  1. I'm actually embarrassed to show how much peanut butter I've managed to hoard in the past month or two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh!!! DO tell!!!! If it wasn't so crappy out today I'd hit Walgreen's again for another raincheck!!! I'm going to wind up on Hoarders- Buried Alive from my pantry shelves overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love PB too but I'm just not motivated to hoard. Wish I was because I'm going to be hurting when I have to fork over all that cash to get my fix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also like pb and saw katie's post but im not motivated enough to hoard it either. besides all that i get 18 oz from wic every month if i dont want beans instead so its not really costing me anything right at the moment. i think i will survive the shortage. lol

    Blog award! http://a-new-poison.blogspot.com/2011/10/another-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I now have 17 jars and still on the hunt for more! Rainchecks for 10 jars! I guess I can hold of a little while...

    Poison, I have to check this out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete