FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fabulous February Challenge

When I purchased Insanity many moons ago, I created a Beach Body account to log in my measurements and workouts to eventually get the coveted "I Earned It" Insanity t-shirt. I never finished the program, getting through the first month with great results, but not picking it up again, hence never getting the shirt. However, when you create an account, you are assigned a Beach Body coach, someone who can answer any questions you have about the program. Sandy found me and has been a friend on Facebook ever since.

From the Insanity website

I joined Sandy's Fitness Family group on Facebook, where members post workouts and successes, supporting each other through ups and downs. I participated in a September challenge that Sandy created. It was based on a points system, where different actions earned different amounts of points. Posting a workout was worth one point, where a muscle photo was five points. It was fun seeing my points add up. We had a partner and we would try our best to keep each other motivated and accountable. Sometimes there would be opportunities to earn bonus points, like completing 100 push-ups by the end of the day. You could do them all at once (yeah, right!) or ten sets of ten. It didn't matter, just as long as you got them done. That was a great accomplishment, doing those 100 push-ups. I felt like Shawn T. (almost).

So Sandy created another monthly challenge, this time for February, for teams of four. I managed to refer four friends, just by mentioning the challenge on Facebook, earning my team an extra 24 points! We're not all on the same team, which will make the competition that much more fun! I'm a team captain with my friend Gigi and two women I've never spoke to or friended before. My sister-in-law is a captain of another team, Dawn, a high school friend whom I ran the Diva with, is on another team, and a MFP friend is on another. I'm hoping it motivates us all  to stick to our health and fitness goals and helps jump start MY mission to lose the last 20 pounds I want to take off.

I plan on getting reacquainted with my boyfriend Shawn T. and start power jumping and burpeeing myself back into the shape I was in after that month, back in June. After completing the first month, not only was I stronger, but it REALLY helped with my speed. I PRd the Moriches Community Center 5k a week after that cycle. It must have been all of those butt kicks and suicides. Whatever it was, it worked and I'd really like to see what finishing the two month cycle will do for my body!



Not only will the February Challenge help kick-start my weight loss, but it's going to help get me half-marathon ready! Charlie and I have decided to run the Long Island Half-Marathon on May 5th!! I really needed a long race to train for besides my usual 5ks. The Diva half is not until October, and I'd like to remain half ready throughout the year, especially if I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring for the NYC Marathon lottery. That means we have 13 weeks to get race-ready, and this will be Charlie's first half!! He's run a few long runs with me- the 8 and 11-miler being the last runs he did with me before Diva in October. We're going to have to squeeze in more than one run a week for him to be truly prepared, which will be very difficult since he works 55 hours in a 6 day work week. I know him though. Throw him a challenge and he'll do what it takes to make things happen. I can not wait to cross the finish line with him!

The Long Island Marathon, Half-Marathon and 10k all have the same start line and time!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with Shawn T. He scares me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's great is you're in your own house so you can run to the kitchen sink or the bathroom to puke and no one sees you! LOL

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you posted it I am nervous and excited all at the same time!! It is also getting me motivated to get that home gym set up!!!

    I did the LI Marathon 5k last year and planned on the 10k this year but I will be in Ohio running the Flying Pig half instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing to be nervous about. You are active, so you post the workout you did and a motivational picture or quote and you're done. If you're brave, add a sweaty picture of your bicep or calf and you've hit the point motherload! LOL

      And the Flying Pig?!? I believe my team mate Carly ran that and is running that this year. Watch, you meet her before you meet me!!!

      Delete
  3. mmmm I LOVE me some delicious Shaun T! I prefer him over Tony Horton, and never thought that could be possible. Have fun with your challenge and getting ready for your half!

    ReplyDelete