FFTFL premiere

FFTFL premiere

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Stranded

The Pick 12 Challenge on 12-12-12. 7.45 miles in 1 hour, 20 minutes. 10:45 pace. In my defense, I went over the bridge to investigate the damage done to Smith point Park by Hurricane Sandy. Most of the paths to the boardwalk, or what was left of the boardwalk, were covered in sand dunes, so I had to walk. Walking on sand brought me to a crawl.

It was fuh-fuh-freezing out. I headed out at 11:45 am. I thought I'd start at 12:12 pm, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer than I had. It wasn't just cold (44*) but windy, too. The run started out fine. Thankfully I always bring a towel with me. It was doing double duty today, mopping up sweat and snot. I really understand the snot rocket phenomenon now. I was getting so tired of trying to keep up with my runny nose! Anyway, I just HAD to be nosey. I was curious and I wanted to see the devastation first hand. I should have remembered the time I decided to ride down to Mastic Beach after a Nor'easter and got my car stuck in the side of the road in the marsh. I had to be towed out.

From where I started to the base of the bridge is about 3.75 miles. I could have just turned around and hit my 7.45 miles just a block or two from home. Running over the bridge, thinking the hill would be a good thing (when are hills a good thing?), brought me to 4.1 miles. But I figured I went this far, I might as well go see the beach. Running along the road and over to the Beach Hut promenade and back to the bridge added another mile and change. Only the promenade is open. The rest of the boardwalk is destroyed. The sand that supported the cement was washed away. Actually it was washed through the tunnels connecting the parking lot to the beach. There was still sand in the lot. The wooden staircases from the boardwalk to the beach are gone. I don't see how the work will be done by Memorial Day weekend. It seems like such a daunting task, and yet our beach suffered minuscule damage as compared to other seaside communities.

I would've taken my own pictures, but I didn't want a camera weighing me down!

stairs to nowhere

So my inquisitiveness did a number on me. 1). I ran that bridge going and coming, and you've seen pictures before. Not the biggest hill, but sufficient enough. 2). It was freezing (in case you forgot I mentioned that). 3). That stupid ass side trip had me finish my run nearly 2 miles away from home!! I thought, "Well, I'll just run 8." I didn't have anything left. So now I'm covered in sweat (sport tank, long-sleeved Cuddle top, and t-shirt on) and I'm moving at a snail's pace, in the wind. I took out my cell phone. It's Charlie's early day and he gets home at about 1:20 pm. I held that cell phone as I walked. Then I thought I'd have him meet me at the Dunkin' Donuts, which was still about a half mile away, but then I checked the time and I knew my kids would be getting home. They have keys, but it's nice to have someone home for them. I just trudged along, counting down the houses between me and my sanctuary.

That last two miles took me 45 frickin' minutes. I was shivering. I was sending out telepathic vibes to my husband "~~~~Come look for me~~~~," "~~~~Call my cell phone~~~~~." Nothing. I would have jumped in some body's car if anyone I knew passed me. No one.

I'm just counting my lucky stars that these date thingies don't happen all that often. The next one will be two years away, 12-13-14. I'll be resting until then.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! Sorry that you got wiped out and stranded. I understand the curiousity factor. We still get people looking in the sub even though most of the tornado damage is a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to get it done no matter what!!! Took me 1:25:20 to do mine last night but I was not in the winds of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH boy!! But congrats for getting that awesome run in! I fizzled out yesterday, I wasn't feeling good - fighting a call and walk/jogged a pathetic 2 miles… Hope to get a longer one in on Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! Ugh, I don't even want to think of 12-13-14! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks to be drained like that - I know that desperate feeling when you just want to give up. So proud of you for not only getting your run in but finished those miles as well- way to go!

    ReplyDelete